adding new user account

woofwoofbark 07:36 02 Nov 05

Hi there I am administrator on my computer but I want to add a second user account .. i know how to do this , its just that when I add the account will I have the same access to it that I have already got on my main account ?? will the settings be the same or ... ? its for the girl she wants to log in as herself and not in my name ,.... is this ok haha ?

hope you can help

woofwoofbark 08:36 02 Nov 05

Xzrox 08:42 02 Nov 05

Well, when you create an additional user account you can specify it as an 'administrator' account which means she'll have full access just like your have.

Will the settings be the same? If you're meaning things like personal alterations to the start menu layout and desktop etc, the answer is no unless you replicate your main account's profile on top of the new profile created for the new account. If you're meaning, will the new account have the same settings regarding access to the machine, the answer essentially is, indeed it shall, on account of it being an administrative account just like yours.

woofwoofbark 08:57 02 Nov 05

I have added the account of full access but when I logged out of my main and to the new account I got disconnected , is this normal and when i tried to connect i get a message saying .. Error 718:The connection was terminated because the remore computer did not respond in a timely manner

everything is still set up ok because I have connected to the internet when I logged back into my main account

what can be done ?

Freddog 08:59 02 Nov 05

It acctually sounds like you on remote desktop coz' thats what it says when I am and dissconnect. OOOOhh man am I gonna need some help soon.

Jackcoms 09:12 02 Nov 05

YOu need asmall registry tweak which will keep your internet connecrion connecrted when switching between users.

The following entry will stop the prompt to shut down the connection when changing users under Windows XP. This enables a permanent internet connection with multiple users on your PC under Windows XP.

Click on Start/Run and type Regedit.

In the Registry Editor navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Then right-click in the right-hand pane and select New/String Value. Name the value KeepRasConnections.

Double click the new key and set its value to 1.

mgmcc 09:30 02 Nov 05

If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, Microsoft's "TweakUI" powertoy has a setting to do this for you. In the Login section there is a setting to "Keep RAS connections after logoff".

TweakUI for XP SP1 and above - click here

woofwoofbark 09:50 02 Nov 05

Thanks to Jackcoms I followed your instructions and now can access the new account with internet connected , very much appreciated !!!!!

and too mgmcc , Jackcoms' advice was easy to follow and everyhting is up and running

thanks again

Jackcoms 10:09 02 Nov 05

Green tick??

woofwoofbark 10:10 02 Nov 05

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…