Adding a new user

misters 21:14 19 Sep 03

Hi, just wondering if some1 can help me out. I wold like to add a new user to my pc with there own password and document, etc. I would also like if they could not access my documents etc. while they were using the pc.
If this can be done can i have instructions for win/98se and win XP.
Thanx in advance.

Pesala 21:27 19 Sep 03

I don't think what you're asking can be done with the standard Windows system.

The best solution IMO is a second hard drive and a removeable caddy. This fits into a 5¼" bay and takes standard hard drives. That way you have total peace of mind, independent use of the same PC, nobody can blame anyone else, and you have a backup you can store safely away from the PC to protect against theft, etc.

A pair of drive caddies will cost less than £20 and a new drive will give you additional storage and greater speed too no doubt.

Kitz E Kat 21:54 19 Sep 03

Pesala is correct for total security and peace of mind then that is a good method...

Less secure, but still pretty secure, in XP, not sure about 98se..

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts, then just add an account...

Set the account as a Limited Account, and make sure you have a password on your account...

Your account, as things stand is the Administrator Account, you should change this to a limited account also, and create another account, which you only use to change settings, load programs etc..

So...
1)Set up a new account, call it My Admin Ac, or whatever, and set it as an Administrator Account and set a password for it..

2)Log out and log into the My Admin Ac, from there create a new account, say Joe's , and give Joe's account a Limited status, Joe can set a password if he wants to....

3)While still in My Admin Ac, change that Status of your account to Limited, and set up a password for it.....

Now your secure only changes can be made in the My Admin Ac....
Your docs are secure except from the most literate hacker, is the proposed user that good?

Passwords, do not use the name of your dog, car, house, partner, birthdays, granny, etc....

A good password is .....

My Dog is called Fido!!
Your password is MDicF!! , using the case and the !! marks, uncrackable!!!! Well as good as!!!!

Hope this helps
Post for more info should you need it

misters 21:55 19 Sep 03

Thanks for putting me out of my misery Pesala, but do you know of an online shop that sells these driver caddy's.
cheers

Pesala 22:37 19 Sep 03

I bought two ages ago, but I don't remember where from. They are easy to fit, but you do need a spare 5¼" bay. My new PC had both bays used by CD drives, so I gave away the caddies with my old PC.

They are about £12 each in Maplins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…