Adding new replaceable hardrives - is it possible?

patrickbuckley 17:02 23 Jun 03

At present I have two 20Gb replaceable hard drives in caddies. I want to to buy 2 bigger replaceable hard drives (about 60Gb) but would like to be able to use my older ones in addition. Can my system (?BIOS) recognise the differently-sized hard drives upon start-up or can I only use 2 of the same size? I enclose details of my motherboard, etc:
MOTHERBOARD
EPOX 266MHzFSB DDRam Athlon/Duron

PROCESSOR
AMD Thunderbird 1.3GHz (266FSB), Socket A,

CHIPSET
VIA KT266 AGPset (VT8366 + VT8233
Thanks

woodchip 17:10 23 Jun 03

I think you will find that it only recognises the drive that's been detected, try swapping the drives to see if you have any probs. ie put the drive in the other caddie

Pamy 17:49 23 Jun 03

you can have hundreds if you wish.

Pamy

wee eddie 19:03 23 Jun 03

and use an external drive

jazzypop 19:24 23 Jun 03

If you set your BIOS to 'autodetect' your IDE devices (hard drives) at startup, it will interrogate the drives, and work out whether they are 20, 60, or 120GB, or whatever.

This assumes that your BIOS can accept drives of greater than 32GB capacity - some older motherboards had this limit. Your motherboard manual / the epox website should tell you iof you have this restriction. If you do, there is probably a BIOS upgrade available to overcome the 32GB limit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…