adding a new h/drive & transferring programs

krsna 12:33 06 Oct 04

I have a Fujitsu 1.6ghz P4 40gb, with XP home.
The h/drive is nearly full & the pc runs very slow.I want to add a second h/drive 120gb, but I also want run the recovery cd that came with the pc. This would re-install the xp home and I would like that to be on the 120gbh/drive not the existing 40 gb, and also I want to copy over most of the software programs on the 40gb h/drive to the 120gb h/drive. I would like to delete the existing xp home on the 40 gb.So I should end up with a 120 gb h/drive which will have the operating system and most of my software and will be the C drive and the 40 gb will be a spare D drive.
It seems a bit difficult to me, but can someone give a step by step guide as to how to do this.

JonnyTub 12:39 06 Oct 04

do you have the disks for the software you want to install on the new drive?

Diemmess 12:44 06 Oct 04

that it just might be better to keep the 40Gb disk as the O/S disk, then bit by bit take the load away from that by uninstalling/re-installing the major (and minor) applications.

Certainly transfer the data to new folders on a disk other than the home of the O/S.

JonnyTub 12:49 06 Oct 04

As diemness says, it is always easier to fit an extra hard drive rather than replacing one.

Diemmess 13:36 06 Oct 04

Either way it will take a long time to re-arrange things as you wish.

Partitioning, even a 40Gb disk has advantages which might have prevented your trouble getting this far down the road!

Have a look at this link -
click here
particularly the bit about organising your Hard Disk.

pj123 14:03 06 Oct 04

You don't need to do that. Install the 120gb as a slave. Fdisk, Partition and Format it. Now download xxclone from click here and copy your 40gb drive to the 120gb drive. Now take out both drives and make the 120gb the master and the 40gb slave and reboot your PC. You can now format your 40gb drive and use it as a second drive.

Ivor_Monkey 14:30 06 Oct 04

Can I ask whether xxclone allows you to clone a non-bootbale partition?

Diemmess 15:16 06 Oct 04

Of course you can clone your original drive, but you will take all the stuff which is slowing it dowm. The shortage of filespace is not the only reason for trouble.

krsna 15:45 06 Oct 04

Diemmess, I think that is a good idea to keep the 40gb as the o/s and bit by bit load off the programs to the 120gb. Could I eventually take off the xp & reload the recovery disc?

LANDCRUISER 16:03 06 Oct 04

have you thought of buying an external h/drive,you can get one from click here it is called QDISC you can get 120gb h/drive for about £150 all you have to do is plug it into your usb & you got extra storage that is portable,you can tranfer data very quickly try this web site,i have one & its the best thing i ever bought

Diemmess 17:01 06 Oct 04

Sorry, Win 2000 is as far as my experience goes, and I hope some devotee of XP will correct my guesses.

I believe a recovery disk is meant to be just that, to recover from a damaged system. When otherwise cleaned up, it may well be all you need.

I think though that if you wipe the old system off altogether, then you may well have to buy a copy of the installation CD to put XP back again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…