adding a new hard drive as a back up-how?

trv4n 17:19 24 Dec 09

Hello, thinking of buying:an internal hard drive :Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB SATAII 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM as a back up.
Do i just plug this in to the spare wire in the back of the pc(not exactly what the spare connector wire is....)and the pc recognises it and then use Vista's back up option to transfer data or are there special soft ware tools to do this.
I curreently have 320gb on vista. Any suggestions or guidance links will be welcomed. Many thanks.

Pamy 17:29 24 Dec 09

How old is your computer?

does it have IDE conectors or SATA

chub_tor 17:32 24 Dec 09

If it is a SATA drive you are installing click here is a good guide to how to install it. But as Pamy says you need to find out if your motherboard supports SATA.

You might want to consider an external drive rather than an internal one, they just plug into any USB socket - the larger ones will also come with a power pack that plugs into the mains.

trv4n 17:50 24 Dec 09

thank you for your speedy replies.

Any sata 3.5 ' I have been told.The pc is 14 months old. Built brilliantly by Arbico.

Are external just as good? I was thinking of internal to reduce plugs and wires.

thank you

EARLR 18:34 24 Dec 09

I have 7 external drives on my vista laptop.
No problems as long as You use "safely remove " before powering down.

chub_tor 19:16 24 Dec 09

Externals are just as good and far simpler to install. They are marginally slower in operation but for backups you will hardly notice the difference.

trv4n 19:36 24 Dec 09

Do all externals need to be plugged in for power?

, thank you for all your help. Depending on what Father Christmas brings in money will determine my next step. Will be back on here in 2-4 days time.

thank you all

EARLR 19:42 24 Dec 09

Most have external power supplies. but a few of the most expensive can be powered from both.
They have gotten so cheap buy the largest you can.
You will be surprised how fast it fills up.

Technotiger 19:48 24 Dec 09

Plugged in for Power - preferably Yes, though some will get sufficient power from a USB port.

woodchip 20:27 24 Dec 09

A External USB Drive can be a lot better as it can be removed for safety also not as likely to be blown if the PSU goes, The Draw back is that its not as fast at Read Write as a internal drive

woodchip 20:39 24 Dec 09

PS for a External USB 3.5 Drive I suggest you buy one with a Mains Power Brick. Power from USB is only a good Idea for 2.5 drives that can be used with Laptop or desktop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…