Adding music to home video

scoobydoo12 16:22 20 Jan 08

Can anyone help - I am copying my home videos to dvd but want to add music to the background - does anyone know how and if this can be done. Many thanks.

PalaeoBill 17:14 20 Jan 08

You should be able to give your DVD recorder an audio feed via a phono cable that will overwrite the audio from the VHS tape. If your using a VCR/DVD combi then check the section under dubbing in the manual.

What kit are you using?

Quiet Life 18:27 20 Jan 08

Windows Moviemaker lets you add music or narration to background

scoobydoo12 18:41 20 Jan 08

Am using Panasonic DVD Recorder with Freeview and an analogue Sony VCR

PalaeoBill 21:51 20 Jan 08

Typically DVD/VCR recorders have six RCA/Phono sockets on the back (4 Audio one pair IN, one pair OUT and two Video one IN, one OUT).

If you connect the Video OUT from the VCR to the Video IN on the DVD, and then connect your Audio source to the pair of Audio IN sockets on the DVD, that should do the business.

Some DVD recorders also allow you to Dub over an existing audio track. In this case you just connect your Audio IN pair of sockets on the back of the DVD recorder to your audio source and use the instructions for dubbing.

It can all be done with S-video and Scart connectors if your DVD recorder doesn't have RCA sockets. Check out e-bay click here

DieSse 00:44 21 Jan 08

I'm with Windows Moviemaker for simple home videos.

As Quiet Life said above - you can add music, commentary - you can do simple clip editing, add transitions between clips, add titles, add-in still pictures.

And it's a very, very easy program to pick-up the basics of.

eedcam 09:12 21 Jan 08

Wmm wont import dvd he would need to convert to avi first

scoobydoo12 11:16 21 Jan 08

Is there a simple way to convert dvd to avi?

eedcam 13:34 21 Jan 08

Several freebies if you google.Though I thought you just wanted to do it on the recorder .It gets a bit busy if you convert to avi then edit in wmm then you need to export as dv-avi massive files 13G/B for 1 hour. Then you need nero or something like free DVD flick to burn to dvd again. Thats the normal way much easier if you can overdubb your tapes at the recording stage as suggested . Are you going to do this regular and perhaps do camcorder stuff in the near future if so might be worth gettin something like Ulead or Magix movie eediting the n you could do it all in the one aplication

scoobydoo12 21:57 21 Jan 08

Am hoping not to doing this regular - bought a Dazzle adaptor but that won't work with my graphics card! Typical.

MCE2K5 22:11 21 Jan 08

"Can anyone help - I am copying my home videos to dvd but want to add music to the background - does anyone know how and if this can be done.": Yes.

"Am using Panasonic DVD Recorder with Freeview and an analogue Sony VCR": I Presume you don't want to do it through a Computer.

If you have got an exrernal Audio Source i.e. CD Player, Use one of these, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant