Adding MS Office + upping Win 98 to Win 2000 Pro

DavyK 20:56 14 May 03

I recently got a larger hard disk and was advised by the technician to upgrade my MS Windows 98 to
MS Windows 2000 Pro AND also buy MS Office. But
retailers list a zillion grades and varieties of MS Office! Which one should I get to best match with my Windows 2000 Professional? Or in light of the following, do I need MS Office at all?

I'm a freelance German-to-English translator. I have a technical background but use mathematics sparingly; most translation is literary. I never
play games, but download and listen to music. I
have a compendious list of e-mail correspondents,
using Outlook Express. I surf the Web extensively
with Internet Explorer. I work with charts, diagrams, and often with colour photos, using a
Scanner and several colour programs. I'd be grateful for any and all expert advice.

VoG™ 21:02 14 May 03

MS Office Standard includes:

Word - word processing.

Excel - fully featured spreadsheet

Powerpoint - presentation package

Outlook - handles e-mail, contacts, calendar, to-do list etc.

From what you say, you only need Word and possibly a basic spreadsheet. In which case you would be better of woth MS Works which has Word, a spreadsheet and various other bits and bobs. And it's cheaper than Office.

Alternatively what about Open Office (free) click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:10 14 May 03

Agree with VoG™, you only need basic word processing and the free ones are just as good as Office...do you really need to go to 2000? having said he above Outlook is a superb contact manager bu if you are happy with Express. If you feel that Office is needed go for the basic, there is not a lot of differnce in the Pro verion except for the price. ;-))

G

wee eddie 22:31 14 May 03

Nothing seriously wrong with W98'se.

You could use Open Office or Ability. Both very capable office suites and cost peanuts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…