Adding Memory.

ss6c 12:18 27 Jul 06

I recently upgraded the RAM on my computer. My son has 512 MB installed in one slot on his computer.
Would adding my 256mb RAM be any advantage, would it cause problems if it is not matched?

Diodorus Siculus 12:21 27 Jul 06

It shouldn't be a problem if the RAM you add is the same type - the size won't matter.

Batch 18:14 27 Jul 06

512MB should be sufficient for ordinary "office" type applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, browsing the web). More is often required for running games and pgoto / video editing.

Totally-braindead 18:21 27 Jul 06

Providing your computer can take it you can install what memory you like 128mb, 256mb, 512mb or more depending on the motherboard.
It is the motherboard together with the speed of your processor (cpu) which decides what memory you can have and how much of it.

Go to here click here if you don't know the make of your PC then do the "Scan Your System" thing. It will tell you how much memory you have, how many memory slots are free and how much more memory you can add.

ss6c 09:09 28 Jul 06

Thanks for your responses. Yes he does play games on it. When I have tried to reserch this, the articles seem to assume that the modules will be matched. They talk of the memory only running as fast as the slowest module. Will adding 256 mb RAM make any appreciable improvement do you think?

Diodorus Siculus 09:20 28 Jul 06

Yes, it will make a difference.

Do you know the speed of the RAM modules - ddr 266, 333 400mhz etc?

There are two issues:

1 - dual channel - that needs two matched pairs (unlikely to be what your machine needs as it is older)

2 - matched in terms of being the same speed - 266 etc. Two uneven modules will run at the speed of the slower one. But 768MB at 266 will be better than 512 at 333mhz for many things.

ss6c 00:16 29 Jul 06

Thanks again. A bit more info gathering to do but can't do it now and am away for a few days so please don't think I am being rude by not responding.

Jak_1 02:01 29 Jul 06

The Crucial site is fine if it lists you pc, it does not list my Advent 3618! doing a scan showed mine to have 1 x 256MB Ram and 1 x 512 MB RAM with a 3rd slot free! I have 1 x 1GB and 1 x 512 MB in two slots with no free slots left!

Some scan!

Jak_1 12:36 29 Jul 06

Forgot to say that I had to scan one with the nearest available specs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…