Adding Linux to XP Dual Boot

HFC 21:20 15 Feb 03

I have 98Se & XP Pro running with the XP dual boot. I would like to experiment with Linux (perhaps mandrake 9.0). After setting up a partition for this, how do I install it within the existing dual boot? If I install will it automatically be added to the menu at boot up? Any other complications I should know about, I don't want to mess up my present set-up?

LastChip 22:07 15 Feb 03

click here

Particularly, look at Taran's post within the thread.

The subject has now been covered on a number of occasions, and a search for Linux, will provide many more threads related to this subject.

zanwalk 22:17 15 Feb 03

Firstly, do back up any important data on your computer. When you come to install Mandrake 9, just take it slowly, and read carefully the installation instructions on your screen before clicking OK! Mandrake has a very user friendly installation, and does warn you of any pitfalls before proceeding, however, when you come to install Lilo (the boot manager) it is safest to install it to your Linux (root) partition and not to the MBR, as the latter will overwrite your current XP boot manager. When you get to the option of creating a boot disk, do this, as it will be your only way of booting into your Linux. I use a third party boot manager Bootmagic to choose between XP and Mandrake 9, but if you don't have it a boot floppy is your safest bet.

I would emphasise that special care should be taken when choosing which partition to format, if you are not 100% sure abandon the installation. Otherwise, Mandrake is very good at recognising other Operating Systems and partitioning to suit. Install carefully and enjoy!

zanwalk 22:19 15 Feb 03

Thanks LastChip, I'm too sloow..!

spruce 22:24 15 Feb 03

I take it that you are only using one hard drive for your existing arangement.

If I can recall the Mandrake setup (especially the latter releases) are pretty much simple to install and configure. The setup wizard will take you through the setup.

It creates it's own formated partition when you set the size of the partition, (it is a fair old chunk of your drive), as Mandrake will set a minimum size.

There is no problem with having 3 o/s on your MFT, but Linux will be the default o/s so don't forget if you want a windows environment you will need to tab down to which ever windows o/s you want when you first boot.

Mandrake has loads of different drivers on the set up disks, so chances are that you might be lucky, but I would go to all of the manufacturers sites and download the drivers for your sound card, graphics card etc for Linux. Your modem will probably not be compatible though.

There are a few pitfalls, but that is the fun of trying it out. (Back-up your stuff).

Red Hat is another version that I would look at if I was you.

HFC 19:46 16 Feb 03

Thanks to all for the advice. I will tread carefully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017