adding laptop to home network

Big Trev 15:54 26 Dec 07

I have a home network running in my house and I have tried to give a recently purchased laptop access. The network all runs through a BT Home Hub. One PC connects via an ethernet cable the other PC wireless and the laptop is wireless. I ran the network wizard on all pcs and laptops, but the laptop cannot see the pc.
Is there something I'm overlooking? All computers are running xp PRO.

brundle 17:21 26 Dec 07

Check workgroup names, check firewall settings, can the laptop access the internet normally via the Homehub, can the laptop ping one of the other machines and/or can you access one of the other machines with the UNC, for example Go to start menu/run, type
\\<machinename>\<sharedfolder>

brundle 17:22 26 Dec 07

That should be `workgroup name` to be pedantic, as all machines need to be using the same one...

Big Trev 17:42 26 Dec 07

Thanks Brundle. When I set it up I used the same workgroup name, but the laptop doesn't show this. How do you change a workgroup name?

Big Trev 18:55 26 Dec 07

The workgroup names are all the same. The other two computers are in the trusted zone of the firewall on the main pc.
Basically I have a desktop attached to the router via an ethernet cable. Another desktop and a laptop accessing the internet on wireless connections to the router.
All can access the internet. The first PC can see all the other computers but cannot connect to them. The laptop can only see itself.
I ran the network setup wizard on all three pcs.

I can't figure out what is wrong.

brundle 23:00 26 Dec 07

Is `NetBIOS over TCP/IP` enabled for all machines? As I said, you need to find out if the machines can access one another via TCP/IP and/or NetBIOS, narrows down the problem. Ping machines from one another.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…