Adding IDE drive to PC with SATA hard drive

Colin 17:09 19 May 06

I have a self built PC running XP Home with a single SATA Seagate 160GB hard drive. A friend has given me an IDE Seagate 40GB hard drive that he wishes to get data from. I connected the IDE drive to the IDE controller on the motherboard and rebooted. The IDE drive is recognised in the BIOS but it has replaced the SATA drive as the boot drive. I cannot select the SATA drive to be a boot drive as it no longer shows in the boot priority section of the BIOS, only the IDE drive, CD ROM or floppy disk. If I disconnect the IDE drive, the PC boots from the SATA drive as normal and the SATA drive reappears in the boot priority section of the BIOS. All I wish to do is to see the contents of the IDE drive in Windows so that I can copy some data from it to a DVD. IS this possible or can’t SATA and IDE drives coexist on the same PC?

Marsh Warden © ™ 17:19 19 May 06

Om my mobo they can co-exist, but only because I have seperate IDE connectors for hard drives, I cannot connect to the IDE connectors on the mobo that are for DVD\CD drives, I suspect that may be the case with yours. Have you considered a USB external case?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 19 May 06

The IDE drive is recognised in the BIOS but it has replaced the SATA drive as the boot drive. I cannot select the SATA drive to be a boot drive as it no longer shows in the boot priority section of the BIOS

you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

Colin 11:01 20 May 06

Thanks for the responses. The problem I have is that I cannot select the SATA drive as the boot drive when the IDE drive is installed, the SATA drive is not shown in the boot options, but is shown in the BIOS main screen. I have considered a USB external case - but will try this method for now.
Marsh Warden - I was not aware that there are seperated IDE connectors on the motherboard for hard drives anbd CD/DVD drives. In any case, I will try to connect the IDE drive as a slave to the DVD drive.

askgreg 12:24 20 May 06

This computer is about two years old and I want to return it to it's original set up. I have removed all the data that I require.
There are three Recovery discs,I have used Disc 1 to boot the computer,first of all it comes up with:-

1. Single user version cannot do multiple loads.
then, the second window shows:-

2. Cannot open Ghostterr.txt and then:-

3. Invalid dump file ( Application error 11000 ).If this problem persists then contact Symantec support @ click here

I have tried to contact the Symantec site for help,I have also tried the PCWORLD site, since that was where the computer came from.I ended going round in circles with no positive help.I'm sure someone out there has been faced with a similar problem and could just put me on the right lines.

All the Recovery disc are authentic and this is the first time of attempted use.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help. Greg Askey

askgreg 12:44 20 May 06

Sorry about the 'Advent' entry , must have been half asleep.

Devil Fish 12:44 20 May 06

if you go out to the main helproom and start your own thread for your problem you may get more response as people looking at this one are expecting an Eide / sata problem

Colin

if you go into setup (bios) their should be an option to boot from sata

if you cant find it let us know what your mobo model is and we will see if we can locate a manual

Colin 16:25 20 May 06

I configured the IDE drive as a slave and connected it to the IDE controller on the motherboard after disconnecting the DVD drive. The PC booted from the SATA drive and the IDE drive was visible in Windows. I copied the contents of the IDE drive to a folder, reconnected the DVD drive and copied the contents to 2 DVD's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…