Adding a hyperlink

spikeychris 18:20 23 Apr 04

to the status bar?

I have a java-script running on a non PC forum click here it has a status bar typewriter, anyone know of a way of adding a click-able hyperlink? I've tried [url][/url]

Ta

Chris

Sir Radfordin 18:29 23 Apr 04

Can it actually be done?

spikeychris 18:42 23 Apr 04

That be the question Mr R.

Forum Editor 18:50 23 Apr 04

isn't loading Chris.

Taran 19:00 23 Apr 04

Are you saying that you want the actual hyperlink to appear in the browser status bar in with the type effect text ?

That's a novel concept.

As far as I know it can't be done, but then, I'm more than happy to learn how it is done, assuming some clever soul comes along who can do it.

Interesting idea.

spikeychris 19:01 23 Apr 04

Which one FE? the click here? as it works for me.

spikeychris 19:03 23 Apr 04

Taran, yup. I thought it would be difficult but why should it not work? then again why should it :)

Taran 21:56 23 Apr 04

Some browsers allow you deactivate the status bar completely. That kind of takes all the impact out of typewriter text effects, with or without a hyperlink embedded into the effect.

Interacting with a parent program can be difficult enough without taking into account how different programs work.

Some programs don't even correctly interpret JavaScript anyway, which means even if the status bar is visible, your script may do absolutely nothing at all.

I still have no idea how to do it though, and I'm quite happy to hold my hand up on that front.

Sir Radfordin 23:45 23 Apr 04

Like Taran I don't think it can be done but normally it only takes a female to come along and prove my thinking wrong ;)

I can't see the point in it really - even more so since XP is so quick to kill the status bar all the time!

If you do find out a way I'm sure you will share...!

Forum Editor 09:13 24 Apr 04

and I don't think it's possible - the status bar content can change with a mouseover message, and like many others I can show you how to code for that, but a hyperlink? I don't think so.

A genuine PCA certificate of web-design excellence to the person who shows us the way.

Sir Radfordin 09:50 24 Apr 04

...and here is why I don't think it can be done.

How do you get the text to the staus bar? You hover over a link. What happens as soon as you move the mouse off that link? The text goes so you would never be able to click it!

Of course if you make a permanent change to the text in the status bar this wouldn't apply.

...and here is why it may work.

If you look at the right hand side of the staus bar there is a little globe and the word Interent (in IE anyway) if you double click this it opens your security properties. This shows that the status bar can be clicked to perform an action.

...however it is more likely to be code in IE than on a web page that will sort this problem :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…