Adding a harddrive

Alien463 23:03 18 Aug 03

Hi.

I currently have a compaq presario 5000 model 5146ea running windows me. I have a compaq 0708h motherboard with a generic ide disk drive.

I am currently rapidly running out of space on my computer, and want to add a second drive as a slave to my current one. I was thinking of buying a Barracuda 7200.7 80GB UDMA100 from click here.

Are the two compatible? That is, for installation, would I just need to open up my case (after setting the jumper on the purchased drive to slave) and slot it into an available bay? Of course the computer should then automatically recognise it in BIOS and all I would have to do is use partition magic to format and partition the drive. Am I right in assuming this?

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

you mayalready have one but you will need an 80 conductor cable for the new drive and in that case its better to set the jumpers to 'cable select' . the bios will make the drive on the end of the cable the master. you will be able to format the drive from within windows but use partition magic if you want.

it would be a little more complicated but infinitely more sensible to make the new drive the master after transfering all your files to it and keep the older slower one as the slave but if you are not that confident then there is nothing wrong with your plan as is.

Ironman556 23:25 18 Aug 03

The drive should be compatible with your PC, and installation should be easy. As you said, set the jumper, drop the drive in, give it IDE and power.

Depending on your BIOS, the drive will either be recognised automatically, or you will have to set it to auto detect, shouldn't be any harder than that.

Some older motherboards/windows versions (eg, I have a 4yr old PIII 500 running Win 98 which I installed a Seagate drive in at Christmas) won't see the drive until you've installed a driver if it's over a certain size. This is easily fixed though by setting the jumper on the back of the drive to report <32GB.

I would suggest not using partition magic, but going to the seagate website and downloading Sea Tools. Once your drive's in and recognised in the BIOS, boot up and run Sea Tools. It will format the drive, move CD ROM drive letters along and correct any files pointing to where the CD ROM used to be, and will also install the Overlay software, if needed, so that your drive runs perfectly on your system.

Read the sstuff in the FAQ's on the Seagate site and it'll be easy. If you have any problems there's always help here, and the Seagate tech. support (as I found out) are very quick and accurate to respond to problems.

Ironman.

Ironman556 23:30 18 Aug 03

horiz5 posted while I was typing...

I have done the opposite on my system (not saying either way is right/wrong). I use the smaller drive as master to run Windows and system stuff from, and install/keep everything else on the (new) larger drive, that way the systems always quick (well, quick enough for a 500Mhz CPU)to boot, and programs I want to use regularly I run from the c:.

woodchip 23:34 18 Aug 03

You do not need to partition the drive do as you said above but go into bios and run Auto Detect Drives, then go to Win Explorer right click on the new drive and choose format just like a big floppy disc but it will be formatted with fat32 if you are on win98 just as your other drive is

Blitzer 23:41 18 Aug 03

I've just bought two of the above drives - very nice! Very quiet. Just one thing though I would take my business elsewhere - I've found Dabs to be useless and an absolute pain when it comes to customer services. I paid about £10 more by going elsewhere and told Dabs so, very crap response on this as well.

Anyway, best of luck with the upgrade. :)

Alien463 23:43 18 Aug 03

Just to let you know that I appreciate the input - will use Sea Tools as suggested.

Thanks again,

Alien463

Alien463 23:56 18 Aug 03

Hi again.

horiz5 mentioned in his post that I might need a 80 conductor cable.

I'm not sure if I need one of these - where can I get them from?

Also, your post about Dabs is duly noted - I'm not taking any chances and will follow through on your advice.

Thanks again,

Alien463

Alien463 00:00 19 Aug 03

Just forgot to mention that being a professional website designer and programmer I have a lot of files to store, and was thinking of going for a 160gb harddrive instead of the 80 gig.

However, I'm just reading through the spec and it mentions the following:

Reliability

Non-Recoverable Errors 1 per 10^14
Start / Stop Cycles 50,000

I'm worried about the non- recoverable errors part - should I buy two 80Gb hard drives or go for the one 160gb?

Alien463

woodchip 00:29 19 Aug 03

Cables from a Computer fair are far cheaper less than half the price of a computer shop

DieSse 00:55 19 Aug 03

All the Seagate drives have the same non-recoverable error rate, whatever their size, as do other makes of drive (though their error rates may be differently specified)

The rates quoted would probably mean in actual use, one error every one to five years or so - just a guesstimate on my part as it would be very difficult to actually estimate properly.

The rated quoted will be calculated, not measured, in all probability.

In any case, whatever you went for, you will be doing proper backups, won't you.

With two 80 Gb drives you could do RAID 1 - fully redundant mirrored drives - both drives alwaysfully up to date and the same as each other

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…