adding hard drive

Brian-318590 10:05 24 Apr 04

hi all just got a hitachi deskstar 123.5gb hard drive pluged it in device manager recocnises it but won,t show up in my computer to format it its also in the bios what can i do

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 24 Apr 04

What OS are you using?

If XP, go to disk management by right clicking on "my computer".

If 98/me etc, then get a boot disk from bootdisk.com and use it to fdisk.

temp003 10:11 24 Apr 04

If you use XP, click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

Right click Disk1 (if this is your 2nd hdd) and see if there's an option to initialise hard disk. If available, select it. If not, skip this step.

Then to the right, if there is already a partition, just right click and format, follow the prompts.

If no partition yet, right click and select create partition.

Brian-318590 10:15 24 Apr 04

its xp pro im using went to disc managment its online what now

Brian-318590 10:18 24 Apr 04

it is the second drive it gives me 3 options for partitioning

temp003 11:37 24 Apr 04

If there is no existing partition yet, when you choose to create partition, you should be given an option to create a primary partition, or an extended partition (with logical drive greyed out). Is that what you get?

If so, either primary or extended will do, but advisable to create a primary partition first.

After that, you will be asked for partition size. Choose your size, in MB (in Windows 1GB=1024MB). You can use the whole of the disk, or choose a smaller size. After that, you'll be asked to format. Choose NTFS. Accept the other default choices. Wait for formatting to finish and the word "Healthy" appears in the new box for the primary partition.

123GB is quite large. Good idea to create more than one partition, but it really depends on how you are going to use the hdd.

After creating and formatting primary partition, if there is still space left, you can create further partitions (or leave it for the future).

You can use all remaining space to create an Extended partition, which will be created instantly (no formatting). Then right click Extended partition and create logical drives. You can create as many logical drives in Extended partition as you like, and choose size for logical drive. Then format as before.

You don't need to use up all the space within the extended partition all at once. You can leave some for future when you have a better idea of what you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…