Adding a graphics card

Ginge1980 08:39 23 Apr 06

Hi all,
At the moment i'm running a Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 256MB PCI-E graphics card, I was thinking of adding an additional card using the two in SLI mode. Two questions;
1. Do the cards have to be from the same manufacturer (ie. the one i have is from Gigabyte, do i need another gigabyte or can it just be another Nvidia of the same spec?)
2. How much of an improvement will there be running two cards, will it be worth the hundred odd quid?
(The computer is used for gaming quite a bit)

Thanks in advance for any help.

SLAYER 08:47 23 Apr 06

hi I don't know if this is any help;click here

Ginge1980 10:07 23 Apr 06

Spot on, cheers.

Totally-braindead 10:17 23 Apr 06

If you have a look here click here you can compare a 6600GT to a 6600GT SLI and see yourself what improvement they got with various games.

I too am a gamer and have SLI but haven't used it yet, I would think that because of different clock speeds and amount of RAM it would make sense to use 2 identical cards. I know the Nvidia site says you can use use cards by different manufacturers but am sure when they say it will work they are talking about 2 different cards with the same clock speed, RAM etc. Certainly when I do it I will be using 2 identical cards just to be sure.

hzhzhz 10:20 23 Apr 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…