Adding frames in frontpage

SumKindaMonster 13:47 02 Mar 04

I have my site split into a table with four sections i was wondering if i could make the main section where the main text is on the new page into a frame so i can scroll down when i add more entrys without the navigation moving.

take a look at my site and let me know.

click here

sorry about the popups they are a temporary thing while i change hosts and geta domain name.

Do frames slow the loading of a webpage at all?

im new to this stuff

Taran 14:26 02 Mar 04

Yes, you could and its pretty easy. FrontPage has a lot of built in framesets to choose from.

A link to look at is click here for a visual aid to ceating your own frames in FrontPage.

A word or three of warning: frames are well past their sell by date and have a whole load of potential problems to contend with. One of the biggest is search engine indexing for site recognition and this is not to be sniffed at.

Tables are by far the best way of laying a site out in static HTML or XHTML and offer the very best control over layout, search engine recognition and browser software and its ability to 'read' and render the age properly.

An inline frame tutorial is click here

This could work where you main page [top, left navigation and bottom footer area] remain the same and all content is loaded into one frame in the middle of the screen.

I'd still suggest that you stick with tables though.

SumKindaMonster 14:32 02 Mar 04

are they seriosuly that bad? or do you personally dislike them? wouldnt users fing it annoying scrolling all the way down a page to find that they have to scroll all the way back to the top to get to the navigation?

Taran 15:03 02 Mar 04

Yes, they are seriosuly that bad and yes, I don't personally like them.

In brief, the trouble with frames is that they are 2 or more web pages displayed jigsaw fashion as one page.

If the band has its songs on a main content page called tracklist.html which is displayed in a frameset, this is what happens when Google comes along.

Google 'reads' the main content page and lists your tracklist.html in its search index. It does this because the page has actual content on it where your navigation section is just links leading to different places.

If someone searches for information on the band and its songs, Google returns the tracklist.html page. So far so good.

The person who finds the tracklist.html page listed in Google clicks on it. It opens up. All the tracks are listed. Great. But the laft hand panel with the site navigation links don't load up in a frameset. If there is a top section to the site, that doesn't load either and likewise to any other page areas like footers.

You can embed redirect and refresh scripts into frame content pages to reload the page with a full frameset, but search engines HATE redirects and anything less than a 15 or preferably 20 second delay in redirecting will mean the search engine won't index the page at all. Redirect scripts are a favourite tool of some very unscrupulous people on the net, which is why search engines go out of their way to drop pages that contain such scripts.

People with disabilities who use screenreader software sometimes have terrible trouble with a frames page. If you have a left, top, bottom and main content page displayed as a frameset, how does the screenreader software know which bit to read ?

There are loads of other considerations to take into account, but most commercial web designers these days avoid frames based layouts like the plague. I don't know of any commercial designer who works with frames much these days. I personally haven't delivered a frames based web for a very long time.

You can achieve more control and better presentation in most situations with tables or, even better, by using minimal XHTML code with CSS to control your format and layout, but that's a whole different ball game.

SumKindaMonster 15:07 02 Mar 04

thanks i think ill steer away from teh frames then

SumKindaMonster 15:16 02 Mar 04

thanks for your in depth answers

Forum Editor 19:02 02 Mar 04

I agree with every word of Taran's response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…