Adding and formatting a HDD

Alien463 17:43 20 Aug 03

I was hoping someone could just clarify this for me:

I currently have a Compaq Presario 5000 model 5146ea internet pc with a 60GB generic ide ata disk drive, 256mb ram and running windows me.

I am rapidly running out of space (only one and a half gig left) and so am thinking of buying a western digital 120GB Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm hard drive to add as slave for storage of files and data.

I know the basic process of opening the case and installing the drive, setting the jumper of the new drive to slave and connecting the ide cable (would this be included with the drive? - i'm buying from click here)

I was just hoping somebody could clarify the process of configuring the new hdd for use - this is what I make it out to be:

1. Connect all cables, turn on PC. Enter the BIOS with F10.

2. Existing drive and new drive should show up under primary and secondary IDE. Ensure hard drive switch is set according to manufacturer recommendation.

3. Place windows me startup disk into floppy drive

4. Boot up computer. At the Advanced Options menu, select DOS Screen.

5. At the prompt in the DOS screen, type FDISK and then press ENTER.

6. Type Y and press ENTER to enable large hard drive support.

7. At the FDISK options screen, type 5 to select Change current fixed hard drive, then press ENTER.

8. Type 2 to select hard drive number 2.

9. Type 1 to Create DOS partition or Logical drive.

10. Type 1 to Create Primary DOS partition.

11. A message will be displayed asking if I want to use all available space. I type Y and press ENTER to select Yes.

12. A message will be displayed that the Primary Partition has been created. I then press ESC to exit to the FDISK menu.

13. I then restart Windows and format the hard drive.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance,

goonerbill 19:13 20 Aug 03

sounds about right but i would get ya hard drive from here click here its the special, 8mb cache not the 2mb cache of the one ya thinking of.

goonerbill 19:14 20 Aug 03

plus £30+ cheaper

wiznyme 19:17 20 Aug 03

Compaq systems are designed to have all the EIDE drives set to cable select, so follow the instructions on the new drive to set the jumpers before installing it.

Alien463 23:01 20 Aug 03

Thanks for the input and the link - I'll probably buy the drive you showed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…