Adding Fax facility to XP Home without Disk

Bertie B 16:29 09 Aug 05

When I go to Add/Remove Windows Software and click on Fax Services I am asked to insert the Windows Disk. However, as my PC came with Windows already installed all I have is Packard Bell Recovery Disks 1 to 3 which can only be used with PB SmartRestore or PB Total Recovery [the latter wipes & restores the HDD!!] Smart Restore does not list any Windows Components to Restore.

Can anyone suggest how I might overcome this, please? Failing that then can anyone suggest a Fax Package which will run on XP? I have looked in PC Advisor Downloads but none seem to be XP Compatible.

Stuartli 17:09 09 Aug 05

How to configure XP Fax Console if you manage to install it:

click here

E-mail to fax service (free):

click here

Stuartli 17:12 09 Aug 05

Free fax service website:

click here

Bertie B 22:19 09 Aug 05

I've establihed that to install fax services on XP I need a file ......... fxscfgwz ....

Anybody got any info on where I can get one without having to pay thro' the nose for a Zip file applic to unlock it, please?

Stuartli 23:01 09 Aug 05

You do realise that you can't send/receive faxes if you have broadband? You require a dialup modem.

By the way, the Downloads link at the top of the page will provide you with fax utilities...:-)

Or there's click here

Bertie B 00:35 10 Aug 05

Thanks for all the help!

I was being a bit slow and dense as my daughter also has a PC running XP and a check on there found all the files I needed - SO PROBLEM SORTED!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…