Adding an extra USB card

Alf58 00:52 28 May 09

When i First got my computer it had only the old 1.1 USB ports so I upgraded by adding a PCI USB card which gave me 3 usable 2.0 USB ports. I have a spare PCI slot. Is there any reason why I should not add a further PCI USB card?

My operating system is WINXP professional. The processor is a Pentium 4: 2.8 MHz with 1 gig of memory.

My reason for the new addition is that I recently added an external Hard Drive which I have connected to to the internal fourth USB socket. It works ok if I switch it on at boot up but if I try to switch it on when the machine is already running it causes problems like Windows discovering devices that have been on the system for years and even crashing the system.

If I had a new set of USB sockets the HD could have the card all to itself! What are your opinions please?

Alf58 01:30 28 May 09

Anyone?

ambra4 03:00 28 May 09

“Is there any reason why I should not add a further PCI USB card?”

None; you can add a second USB card once you have a spare PCI socket

You have a wide choose of difference type of USB cards both for the front or the back of the

computer case.

Internal 5.25" Multi Function Panel

It brings to the front of your PC all of the most commonly used ports including X 2 USB High

Speed Ports, 2 X eSATA Ports, audio ports and a 54-in-1 card reader that supports even the latest

HS (High Speed SD Cards)

click here

Value 6 ports USB 2.0 PCI card 2 internal ports and 4 external

This card lets you connect up to six USB 2.0 peripherals, and enjoy fast data transfer rates of up to 480 Mbits/sec.

Also backwards compatibility with USB 1.1 means you can continue using your older USB peripherals.

click here

Alf58 19:06 28 May 09

Thank you for the replies. I now have plenty to think about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…