Adding extra HDD to Dell Dimension

wids001 19:17 10 Feb 08

I have a Dell dimension 2400, XP SP2 with a 40gb IDE hard drive. This is connected via a single data lead and is located in a single bay. There are however, extra power terminals connected to the power supply cable to the HDD. (The cable for the CD/DVD has two connectors on it and I have added a DVD recorder to the computer).

As my 40gb HDD is practically full (6gb space) I am looking to install a larger (250gb) IDE HDD.

I am told that by purchasing a "retail" IDE or PATA HDD this will come with a twin data cable that I can fit in place of my original single lead.

The drive currently installed is set to "cable select". Would the new drive need to be set as this also or will I need to change my original to "Master with slave" and my new drive to "slave".

BTW, once successfully installed I am planning to copy over the contents of my original drive to the new one using Acronis True Image, and then "swap" them so the newer, large drive becomes the master.

Any advice would be grateful.

citadel 21:20 10 Feb 08

if you get the retail it comes with software that transfers the contents, the seagate software is good, you can print out instuctions and steps to follow. I did the master, slave way and it worked ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac