Adding downloads to a webpage?

Scoundrel 18:44 18 Apr 04

If you look at my site you will see there is a write up and some results shown on a basic Frontpage table.

What I want to do is replace this table with a link to the much-more detailed excel sheets currently on my hard drive.

When the link is clicked on a download would commence at the end of which the other person would have the file on their HD.

I do this kind of thing on other sites a dozen times a day but have never known how to make some available to others.

Can someone help?

Scoundrel 18:47 18 Apr 04

adding email notification!

VoG II 18:49 18 Apr 04

1) a link to your website might help

2) this might be better off posted in the Web Design forum

caast©? 18:50 18 Apr 04

You may get a better response in the webdesign forum.

But I have excel workbooks on my site. I just zipped them and posted them in a folder on the ftp and a link to that folder, from the web page, and they just download as zipped files. M

point the link to the file. (put the file in your root directory on the server or in a directory of there own but you'll need to include the whole path in the link) then make the link <a href="../myfile.csv">myfile</a>

the download dialogue will popup automatically on your visitors machine.

Scoundrel 18:58 18 Apr 04

Sorry guys - I'm far too computer dumb to follow any of that!

Could you describe the first couple of steps?

The website page is at click here

In the same way that you have a link <a href="points.htm">Latest 2004 championship standings</a> which leads to another page, just link to the file. <a href="myfile.csv">download my file</a> as the link is not a webpage the browser will cause the download dialog box to popup.

Forum Editor 00:19 19 Apr 04

and I think you'll get a wider response there, so I'll close this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…