Adding another operating system

Justabitbaffled 10:08 02 May 03

Can anyone advise of the simplest & safest way of adding windows NT as an alternative operating system to Windows XP pro?

flecc 12:34 02 May 03

The Microsoft rule is that the older operating system has to be loaded first. If you try adding NT to XP, you're likely to get a blocking message preventing it.

The only way that I know of to cheat this effectively is to use Partition Magic run from it's rescue floppies to set up a second primary partition for the NT, setting it then as the active partition. PM will accept that even though there's no system in there yet, so if you load the NT as you reboot after removing the PM floppy, the installation should proceed OK.

However, this will not provide a boot menu for you, so you'll either have to edit Boot.ini to provide one, or use the Boot Magic provided with Partition Magic if it's a latest version that supports the NT systems. Boot Magic with PM 6 and before won't support XP etc, since the older versions had to see a DOS partition or system.

flecc 12:36 02 May 03

No guarantees that the above will work as I've never tried it with NT which is notoriously more difficult to install than the other Windows versions I have done this with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…