Adding another hard drive

pub 14:48 24 Mar 07

I have just been given another computer which has two hard drives.Drive C is 41.9GB with 38.0GB free.Drve D is 74GB totally free.The system is running ME.What I want to do is to remove D and use it on my main computer running XP and a 40GB HD.How easy would this be as there is plenty of space for a second HD and what jumper settings would I need ?

chub_tor 15:01 24 Mar 07
  rodriguez 15:01 24 Mar 07

It should be pretty easy, you fit the new drive in under the old one. If it's on a cable on it's own, set the jumper to master and if it's on the same cable as the other HDD or DVD drive, set it to slave. When the computer is started, it should be detected and Windows will recognise it at startup.

Tempest1 15:07 24 Mar 07

If you're drive is IDE connection all you need to do is install in pc and connect it to the spare connection on the drive cable already in your pc and connect a spare power lead to it.The main thing is to set the jumpers on the back to slave, check the manufacturers website for the correct setting.If you're main pc is a SATA connection you can still instasll an IDE drive, cable connections will be the same as will setting it to slave.Finally format it to give yourself a goog clean start.

pub 15:29 25 Mar 07

Thanks everyone for your help.Everything working fine.it`s given my computer a bit more of a future !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac