Adding Airport Express to network

Kate B 19:25 21 Jul 07

Current setup: Netgear DG834G connected to PC running Vista Ultimate via ethernet plus one iBook which connects wirelessly to the Netgear. No wireless receiver on the PC.

I want to add an Airport Express so that I can stream music from iTunes to the speakers in the sitting room but it ain't working. I get the solid green light if I connect it via ethernet to the router, but it won't connect wirelessly to the router.

Connected by ethernet, I can't see the Airport Express in my network centre though it's showing up as a connected device in my router's configuration page.

Any thoughts?

FreeCell 11:20 22 Jul 07

Seems to be a common problem. These two articles may help depending on the security settings you have set on the router.

click here

click here

Kate B 21:03 22 Jul 07

Thanks, FreeCell, one is for a Mac - I'm trying to get it working on a Vista PC; and I'd already seen the other one.

Kate B 18:23 25 Jul 07

Update - I've got it working but it's a very unsatisfactory fudge. I've got the Airport Express wired to the router, in effect creating a second network. That would be fine except that I can't set up any security at all under Vista for the Airport Express and so as it's connected to my router so that when I stream music I am also connected to the internet, I have an unsecured network for all and sundry to access. Apparently there is no way to set up security yet in Vista for the Airport Express because Apple hasn't yet released any Vista-friendly software.

FreeCell 20:40 25 Jul 07

"Apple hasn't yet released any Vista-friendly software"

Funny that!

Kate B 09:20 26 Jul 07

FreeCell - yeah *sigh*

Anyway, I had the brilliant idea of trying to set it up using my iBook, and needless to say it's now working perfectly. Only slightly annoying thing is that I don't seem to be able to enable MAC address filtering. But it is nice to be able to stream from the PC to the speakers.

FreeCell 11:21 26 Jul 07

Kate B
Glad you have managed to get it working satisfactorily. Now it's music while you work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…