Adding to the Address bar IE6

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 10:22 08 Apr 04

Is there a way to add programs to the address bar
through the customise feature,i can click customise but i wont more programs to be available to add.

Regards.

GaT7 10:56 08 Apr 04

Hi  ÑÌÇKÑÂMË, I understand your question. You want to be able add buttons/links of programs that you have installed on your PC, but which ones exactly? Can you be more specific?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:03 08 Apr 04

I would like to be able to add My web cam,Belarc what ever i fanct really as long as i know how i cant see why any program icon cant be added.

Regards.

temp003 11:09 08 Apr 04

If you use XP Pro or w2k Pro, you can do it via Group Policy - User Configuration - Windows Settings - Internet Explorer Maintenance - Browser User Interface - Browser Toolbar Customizations

If not, try search for a utility, say "add program shortcuts ie toolbar".

Wonder if TweakUI or Powertoys has such a feature?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:27 08 Apr 04

I did find 1 app but it was adaware and im not keen,may dload it and see if i can remove the advertising and it still works.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:35 08 Apr 04

Did find this might come in handy

click here

Regards.

GaT7 11:39 08 Apr 04

Thanks for that  ÑÌÇKÑÂMË.

This is another simple way:

1. Customize IE to show 'Links'.

2. Create shortcuts on your desktop of all the programs you'd like to be able to access from IE.

3. Open the Favorites\Links folder. Cut & paste the shortcuts into the 'Links' folder.

4. Each time you need to access a program, click on the >> next to Links, scroll down & click on the program you need.

5. If Links is too cluttered (or is getting too cluttered) you can move the the Links URLs to another Favourite folder.

Another method involves editing your Registry & with this you can actually add to the list of programs in the Customize Toolbar menu.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:42 08 Apr 04

Hi, thx do you know where i might find the reg entry for the toolbar in xp home.The other app says 98/me/2k so im not 100% it will work with xp.

Regards.

GaT7 12:12 08 Apr 04

You may find the Registry location that let's you add items to the IE Taskbar is at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\ (I'm using Win98se but should be the same I'm thinking with WinXP?)

If you have programs installed that are already showing up in Customize toolbar (like AI Roboform, GetRight's IE tools or WinMP3Locator) then you'll find their Taskbar entries in the above Registry location & you can use this info as a 'template' to add your desired programs to the Customize toolbar. You'll have to enter the necessary string values (in the right pane of Registry editor) & make sure you get the CLSIDs correct & eventually everything to link-up properly.

I'm trying to look for a proper tutorial to be able to achieve this Registry tweak but have been unsuccessful so far.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:20 08 Apr 04

Hi, i found this

click here for adding buttons

Also this app does it for you it does say its ad-awre but you get the option not to install this
and it still works ok just added some buttons and they work fine.I also scanned with Ad-aware
after install and nothing was found so all in all a good result.

click here

Regards.

GaT7 13:00 08 Apr 04

Thanks, I couldn't get the first link's suggestion to work as there's no gpedit.msc in my system - apparently it's only on Win2K & XP.

But I did manage to find a freeware program that will do it (but not on WinXP!) - click here.

Will give AddaButton a go too & check to see if it's adware with a different scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…