Adding an additional internal hard drive

questions4u 20:49 14 Apr 08

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop with an 80GB drive. I want to add a 250Gb drive. Is there a maximum capacity that the pc will take and if so how do I find out as there is no mention in the manual?

Diodorus Siculus 20:58 14 Apr 08

The problem with Dell in my experience, is that they rarely have any spare connectors ie the ide connector that you will need.

Can you add an external via USB?

click here for some similar queries

Batch 20:58 14 Apr 08

Assuming that you are running a recent operating system (e.g. Windows XP or above) you shouldn't have a problem.

You will need to make sure that the drive is compatible with the disk controller(s) in the PC. Older ones are known as IDE or ATA or sometimes PATA (for Parallel ATA). Newer ones are SATA (for Serial ATA).

Also, if you intend to add the drive (rather than replace an existing one) make sure that there is a physical slot inside the system unit to locate the drive as well as power and signal cables (for connectiong the drive).

An alternative is to get a USB drive that sits outside the machine and just plugs into a USB port (and typically has its own power supply).

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 14 Apr 08

Mind you, some of the above suggest that there is space so it can be done. click here for generic guide

martjc 21:03 14 Apr 08

...in the old days you may have needed a special addition to the bios or a bios upgrade to achieve this, but your 250 GB should work fine.

To be certain, why not visit the dell support centre.

click here

questions4u 21:20 14 Apr 08

Thanks for your help and the link to all the additional info concerning possible internal disk sizes. I'm going to bit the bullet and get a 250GB drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…