Adding Additional Hard Drive

lightfeet 08:05 22 Jan 05

I want to add an additional Hard Drive to my Evesham Axis 1900+Ti5 system for my large video editing files. My existing drive is a Western Digital WD1000 (100GB). I am considering adding a Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB from Simply computers and am wondering if there would be any compatibility problems with this combination. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Also any advice on selecting/fitting additional Hard Drives would be useful. Thanks

bremner 08:38 22 Jan 05

No problems likely.

Ensure the existing drives jumpers are set to master and the new drive to slave.

Just boot the machine and when Windows starts go

Right Click My Computer > Manage > Disk management.

You will see your new drive in the bottom pane as unallocated.

Right click on the small portion on the left hand end and choose initialise.

Then right click on the large section on the right and choose Add Partition.

Follow through the prompts and this will also allow you to format the drive. Format as NTFS as you are going to use large file sizes with video editing.

Good Luck

lightfeet 00:02 23 Jan 05

Thanks bremner for your prompt reply to my query. After further investigation I see the Maxtor HD Interface Type is ATA-133 and I am wondering whether my Asus A7V266-E Motherboard supports this. Should I be looking to install an ATA-100 HD or doesn't it matter which one is used?

bremner 08:15 23 Jan 05

The board does not support ATA-133 but that simply means the drive would only operate at ATA-100.

lightfeet 22:19 23 Jan 05

Thanks so much bremner. I can now go ahead & order the additional Hard Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…