Adding 4 Port USB Hub

chas 16:42 24 Feb 03

I need to increase the number of usb outlets by fitting a 4 port adaptor. I have been told by one supplier that I need an AC supply to power it. I was under the impression that it was powered by the computer. Just plug it in and couple up???
Any help pls.

Dodger148 16:48 24 Feb 03

I recently bought a 4 port powered hub that you plug into the mains, connect it to the pc and all the usb devices into the hub. I think the idea of a powered hub is to eliminate the hub drawing power from the pc's power supply. You can buy unpowered hubs but at 17pds for a powered hub!!!!!!!

Legolas 16:49 24 Feb 03

This site shows a powered usb hub click here

Legolas 16:50 24 Feb 03

This is an internal one for £6
click here

jazzypop 16:51 24 Feb 03

You can buy either version - a 'powered' hub, which has an external power supply, or one that is self-powered via the USB port on your motherboard.

Powered versions are generally preferred, as connecting several power-hungry peripherals to a hub can cause supply issues with motherboards that barely supply the required 500mA.

Ultimately, it depends on what you plan to connect to the hub, and the quality of your existing USB connectors.

To be safe, I always recommend a powered hub.

stlucia 16:52 24 Feb 03

Yes, Dodger148 is right. A powered hub simply relieves the load on the PC power supply by supplying power to the devices which are attached through it.

The one I've got (I can't remember the make) is powered, but you can leave the power switched off if your devices aren't drawing too much.

eccomputers 17:54 24 Feb 03

I prefer internal usb hubs just because they dont have to time share. When you have a single lead going into 4, the 4 are shared through the one connection. When you do heavy scanning, printing and digital photography this is really noticeable. However, if you only use one device at a time, you wont notice.

jazzypop 18:05 24 Feb 03

I'm not sure that I made it clear in my previous posting that I was referring exclusively to an external hub.

An internal hub connects via the PCI slot, which is where it draws it's power from.

mysterious_543 18:31 24 Feb 03

Belkin do a good one
£19.99 down PC World 4 Port USB - Hub
They do a 7 or 8 port too but I cant remember which or the cost for it.

Stuartli 20:20 24 Feb 03

A powered hub is far superior to the non-powered variety.

It's important to remember that scanners should be connected directly to a USB port on the computer, otherwise you could have problems; the second USB port should be used for the four port hub giving an additional three ports for digital cameras, webcams etc.

chas 15:52 26 Feb 03

Overwhelmed by all the info.
All is now revealed,
Many thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…