Adding a 2nd printer to a network

TomG 18:11 30 Aug 05

I have a home network with a pc (XP SP2) and 2 laptops (one win 2k and the other winxp sp2). All can use a printer attached to the pc through a wireless connection.

I have now added a second printer (a hp photosmart 145) attached to the pc. The win 2k laptop can print to this new printer but the xp laptop (IBM thinkpad) will not. I've run the add a printer wizard, on the XP laptop, and it tells me that the drivers are installed fine but when I try to print I get various error messages which suggest that the drivers are not installed - the IBM machine can print OK to the other printer.

Any suggestions please?

DieSse 18:20 30 Aug 05

Make sure the printer name you (or the installation) have assigned is less than 12 characters (just use a short name) - Win98 printers will not print in this situation if they have more than 12 chrs - possibly the same applies to Win2K.

TomG 18:57 30 Aug 05

Thanks - but the win 2k machine is fine , its the xp laptop which has the problem.

I tried the printer troubleshooter wizard but that couldn't cure it.

recap 19:13 30 Aug 05

This may be a port issue.

Check the port settings for the printer in the printer Properties and, also check the firewall on the XP machine is allowing the traffic of the second printer.

TomG 19:17 30 Aug 05

Thanks - but tried that,bit mystified

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…