Adding 2 Parallel Printer cables together

siliconbits 20:21 20 Jan 03
  siliconbits 20:21 20 Jan 03

How do we do it? Do we need special connectors. I need to connect 2 computers to one Data Switch and one printer, the 2 computers are far apart.

jazzypop 20:43 20 Jan 03

"Parallel Cables Length Limits

Older style Centronics parallel cables, can rarely be more than 15 feet long and still operate correctly, and 9 to 12 feet is a safer limit. The IEEE-1284 can go up to 30feet in length."

Source - click here

For more detailed info, try click here

You *might* be able to use a USB to parallel convertor, then a chain of USB extender cables - but I really wouldn't recommend it. A UK supplier that will supply this sort of kit is at click here

If the distances are great, you will need to consider connecting the printer directly to one PC, and networking the PCs with Ethernet cabling. This will easily run 300 feet. Just enable the printer as shared.

eccomputers 22:36 20 Jan 03

You will have to obtain an automatic data switch obviously for this and many of them give problems. I would tend to network the 2 computers and share the printer.
You also benefit here for transfering data between the 2 machines and you can even share an internet connection.
All you need are 2 100mb network cards (about £20 each) and a crossover cable to run between the 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…