added hard drive problem

jaydev 17:51 16 Jul 06

I have a Dell with a sata HD. I added my old ultra ata card using a PCI IDE Controller card.All worked fine until i rebooted the system and i keep getting 'ERROR AUTO SENSING SECONDARY HARD DISK DRIVE'.Sometimes it will give the option to press F1 and it boots up fine,sometimes it freezes during POST.I guess it is just a case of changing a setting somewhere,maybe master and slave, but i am stumped..anyone any ideas? Thanks

FelixTCat 18:13 16 Jul 06

jaydev,

Go into the BIOS and look for the boot option. This tells the BIOS which drive to boot from. Make sure it points to the drive with your OS. I ave a system like yours with both disks bootable and I can simply choose which one I want (useful for testing software).

Regards,

Felix

jaydev 18:31 16 Jul 06

thanks felix,i have actually done this but it doesnt seem to make any difference.when i unplug the old ata drive it boots fine.shut down,plug the drive back up and reboot,it will boot up with the F1 prompt,but reboot again and it hangs!! I have decided to reboot as little as possible until i get this resolved.I had no trouble at all like this with an old alienware i had,same sata and ata thru pci card.must be something in the but i just cant see it. much appreciated suggestion tho..thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…