Add a wi-fi connection

MrNewName 12:20 PM 06 Mar 12

Here is the situation:

5 story house

I have BT infinity connection with modem /router on ground floor. Wireless signal can be picked up easily until second floor. Third and fourth floors have very poor signal so I have run a cable from modem to top floor - completely hidden so no issues there.

On the top floor I have a Netgear network switch FS605 running three cables into three rooms. All works fine.

What I want now is to replace the Netgear switch with one that also offers a wi-fi connection so that my iPhone / iPad can connect via wi-fi on the top floor. I still need the wired capability.

Can anyone recommend one for me please? Home Network Plugs are not an option as the top two floors are on a different circuit for some reason.

Thanks for any advice and I'd appreciate solutions to be as fool-proof as possible; adding the Netgear switch was no problem and hopefully replacing it with a wireless enabled one will be equally straightforward.

Many thanks.

MrNewName 12:22 PM 06 Mar 12

difarn 12:38 PM 06 Mar 12

Would this fit the bill?

MrNewName 12:54 PM 06 Mar 12

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure it will do the job as it seems to pick up a wi-fi signal and extend it. My difficulty is that the wi-fi signal doesn't get to the top of the house so can't be extended.

difarn 18:27 PM 06 Mar 12

If you have an ethernet cable already going to the switch have you considered "daisy chaining" a second router? Have a look at this article explaining how you do it.

MrNewName 19:36 PM 06 Mar 12

That's an idea, thanks. I'll investigate a little more.

MrNewName 15:40 PM 07 Mar 12

Can I add this to the Cat5e cable on the top floor? If so, will it give me a wi-fi connection?

Thanks.

difarn 16:42 PM 07 Mar 12

If the Cat5e cable gives you an ethernet connection on the top floor already then I can't, theoretically, see any problem connecting the second router to this and then configuring the wireless connection following the instructions on how to daisy chain. Specification for this router here.

MrNewName 19:32 PM 07 Mar 12

Thanks difarn; I'll take a chance on it.

Strawballs 19:55 PM 07 Mar 12

If you use a cable router I can't see why it won't work because it will be getting it's connection from the downstairs router instead of a cable modem.

MrNewName 20:12 PM 07 Mar 12

I don't use a cable router it's ASDL (if you mean cable like from Virgin Media).

Of course, if you mean a router with a CAT5 cable running from it, yes, that is what I have.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…