Add Specific Symbol Buttons to Word Toolbars

DennisD 03:21 26 Oct 06

Hello. I have a question regarding Word 2003 (as part of Office Pro 2003).

I'm a technical writer, & a few years ago, a co-worker helped me set up buttons on my Word toolbar that allow me to insert specific symbols simply by selecting the button. (For example, if I want to instantly insert a "degree" symbol, I just go up to the toolbar, select the assigned button, & it pops right into the document. I prefer that for frequently-used symbols, & it's much better than going through Insert, Symbol or having to use keyboard shortcuts.

Now here's the problem: I don't remember how my friend set this up, & I she is no longer around to ask. I can come close I think: by going under Tools, Customize, Insert, Symbol, & dragging the Symbol icon to the toolbar. But then I still have to navigate through the symbols to find what I need (I can't customize the toolbar beyond this point). It's just not the same.

I'd really like to know how this was done, & I'd be very appreciative to any Word afficianados who can help. (Please be specific with your instructions.) And I think this would be an handy trick for other Word users. Thanks in advance.

Simsy 05:46 26 Oct 06

is to record a macro inserting a sign, and assign that macro to a button.

Are you ok doing that?

Regards,

Simsy

DennisD 00:41 27 Oct 06

Thanks for your response Simsy.

I suppose my toolbar could have been set up with macros--I'm not familiar enough with marcros to say for sure.

The buttons on the toobar can simply be pushed (no macro opened visibly), & the symbol was popped into the text--pretty seamless. And as I said, better than keyboard shortcuts.

Do you simply record a macro of inserting a symbol (via Insert, Symbol, & find a specific one), then stop the macro's recording? Please advise if possible. (I think I could edit the appearance of the button on the toolbar simply enough.)

Simsy 07:41 27 Oct 06

That's correct.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now