Add a Second H/D a SATA Drive

Sparkly 16:06 27 Feb 07

Hi all i am thinking of adding an extra H/D to my system, i have noticed in my documentation that i have Two Serial ATA Connectors on my motherboard (SATA_0) and (SATA_1)not being used.
The H/D that i have at the moment is connected on a IDE cable in the primary connector on the board if i was to buy a SATA H/D would it be a matter of just plugging it in and will it be recognised as a slave drive if i was to just connect it up, and is there anything else i should be aware of before going ahead with the purchase this is what i have looked at WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS - hard drive - 250 GB - SATA II as this says SATA II is this correct for my motherboard or should i be looking at another type.
Many thanks in advance.
This is all i can see in the Dell™ Dimension™ 8300 Series Service Manual
Available devices ATA-66 or ATA-100 Ultra DMA hard drive, serial ATA drive, CD drive, Zip drive, DVD drive, CD-RW drive, DVD/CD-RW combo drive, and DVD+RW drive

click here

crosstrainer 16:11 27 Feb 07

You can connect the new sata hdd with the proper cables, these are often supplied with the drive, but check that your power supply has sata poer connecters on it (adapters can be bought cheaply) as the power connections on a sata drive differ from the ones used for ide. Once you've checked all that, install the drive, re-boot the pc, go into adminstrative tools>computer management>storage...your new drive should appear, but will not be formatted...right click, choose partition, then format..this will take a while depending on size of drive...good luck.

Madscot_uk 16:13 27 Feb 07

I have done exactly the same as you, IDE is set as the master, via jumpers and SATA is just plugged in.
I have Windows/Linux installed on the IDE and my storage on the SATA, i'm on my second pc build with this setup and had no problems.

SATA II is backwards compatable with SATA my last mobo had the same SATA II on a normal SATA and it worked fine.

Ms

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:20 27 Feb 07

SATA II is backwards compatable with SATA my last mobo had the same SATA II on a normal SATA and it worked fine.

I'm afraid not true

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

Sparkly 16:28 27 Feb 07

Thanks for all of your replys guys that will be helpful in making my choice i will take a little more time and make sure i have the right drive.
Thanks.

Madscot_uk 16:58 27 Feb 07

My bad i didn't realise that the two were not backwards compatable, i have a maxtor drive sans jumpers and it just worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant