'Add Remove Programs' window is half blank

kinger 17:39 31 Jul 05

A friends computer is displaying all programs up to the letter D fine, in Add Remove Programs, in the control panel.

Then it is just a white blank from then on. I can scroll down the page where the rest of the programs should be displayed but there is nothing there.

I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and now the blank part of the window displays in black.

So, top half of window is fine, showing installed programs in alphabetical order up to the letter 'D' the rest is just blank.

Can anyone throw any light on this problem as I'm not albe to uninstall any programs that start with the letter E to Z!

I've run anti-virus and Spyware programs but the problems still exists.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:53 31 Jul 05

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

kinger 19:34 31 Jul 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ will give it a try.

kinger 21:36 31 Jul 05

I followed the instructions, step by step, from the site but all I get is a DOS box appear for less than a second and nothing seems to happen.

sfc / scannow was typed into the 'run' box.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 31 Jul 05

make sure typed correctly.

sfc /scannow

note space after sfc no space before scannow

kinger 22:43 31 Jul 05

Just re-checked.

Something does launch but seems to fail immediately.

gudgulf 22:44 31 Jul 05

You will need to edit the registry.Make a note of the last program listed in Add/Remove Programs before the white space and the first one that appears when you scroll right down the page to the end of the white space.

Now open the registry editor by typing regedit in the run box and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

There is a list of programs contained in that key...these are the programs listed in Add/Remove programs.Scroll through them until you find the last one listed before the white space appears....the next program listed will be the problem (it will be listed between the programs you noted before and after the white space).Left click it and look for an entry for Display Icon in the right hand pane with a negative value eg "C:\Program Files\Logitech\IM Video Companion\VideoIM.exe",-1

If you find one then you can either delete just that entry or the whole key for whatever program it is.If there is more than one program listed in regedit between the programs you noted at the beginning check them too.It is the negative value that is causing your problem.

I have only this weekend had to fix the same thing myself on my own pc.Kake sure you scroll right down to the bottom of the list...the white space in mine was huge....several times longer than the full list of programs!

kinger 22:44 31 Jul 05

It's a window with loads of text in it but it runs so super fast, I can't read any of it.

gudgulf 22:46 31 Jul 05

"Kake" sure.......err Make sure! oops!

kinger 22:51 31 Jul 05

After the last entry there are no more. So blank is until you reach the bottom of the window.

kinger 22:54 31 Jul 05

I will try that next gudgulf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…