Add & Remove Programs problem

prince midas 13:21 28 Jul 08

Just lately my add and remove program in control panel will scroll partway down to say a quarter of my programs for example crap cleaner & then give a black screen for 4 or 5 inches below and then show the programs below starting with say D starting with download manager etc.

It never did this previously and why a black screen in the middle. Help please.

rawprawn 13:47 28 Jul 08

click here
Scroll down to the post by ajgarvin for a solution.

BurrWalnut 13:51 28 Jul 08

This is often due to the DisplayIcon registry value for an item having a negative number.

Click Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. Scroll down the sub-keys in the left pane and look for a corresponding value of DisplayIcon in the right pane. If the end of any of the lines has a negative number, say -1, right-click and Modify it to 1 (one).

prince midas 15:18 28 Jul 08

Raw Prawn I cannot see a problem with anything like Autocad.

With your suggestion Burwalnut I go to current version then uninstall but cannot find a entry for duplicate icon etc. More help please.

woodchip 15:23 28 Jul 08

Read DisplayIcon not duplicate icon

Technotiger 15:35 28 Jul 08

Have you tried System Restore back to before this started?

BurrWalnut 15:37 28 Jul 08

I thought I made it plain!

In the left pane underneath the ‘Uninstall’ key are a number of other keys. Scroll down each of these and as you do so look for DisplayIcon in the right pane. Not all of them will have one. Any that you find must be checked for having a negative number at the end of the entry, as I stated above.

Another way of doing it is to open regedit, press F3 type DisplayIcon and put a tick in Keys and Values. Only modify those that appear under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and have a negative number at the end.

prince midas 16:06 28 Jul 08

BurrWalnut ,I did as you said and the only entry with a minus was Zone Alarm. With certain numbers and it finishes with -0. Is this it do you think.

BurrWalnut 16:18 28 Jul 08

I'm surprised it's ZoneAlarm, you haven't recently recovered from a 'nasty', have you?

Anyway, in the right pane right-click DisplayIcon then Modify and remove the minus sign (NOTHING ELSE). Close regedit. Now try Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…