Add Remove programs NO List

geoff47 10:28 15 Nov 06

I have discovered there are no programs in the Add Remove list after installing memory.
I am using win98

anskyber 10:36 15 Nov 06

click here Have a look there.

geoff47 11:09 15 Nov 06

Perhaps I should have put this in the beginners forum.
After installing the memory I visited PC Pitstop and ran an optimisation program after doing the regular test.
That does not alter anything as far as I know as you get the option to buy it, to work its wonders
To be honest I cannot follow the instructions in the link, unknown territory to me.
I have Zsoft uninstaller on my PC can I just forget about the windows Add Remove, or will it incur other problems?

anskyber 11:22 15 Nov 06

Running some registry cleaners can have effects like you describe. I have not used pitstop so I cannot comment on that program. Again sometimes an add on program can completely replace the standard Windows program but it is less usual, so Zsoft may have done just that. Again I do not use Zsoft so I cannot confirm these thoughts.

Others here may help, good luck!

rawprawn 11:47 15 Nov 06

System Restore?

geoff47 11:55 15 Nov 06

Hasn't got the option.

The reason I have put more memory is because I was intending to upgrade to XP.
Ironic aint it ?

geoff47 11:59 15 Nov 06

I have ventured into regedit, and according to instructions from link, looked for programs with more than 63 characters in title.
There are non.

rawprawn 12:12 15 Nov 06

Try a system file check
click here

rawprawn 12:13 15 Nov 06

PS. Use "Scan for altered files"

Diemmess 12:34 15 Nov 06

One of the few defence programs in '98 is the "scanreg /restore" routine.

If < 5 days have gone by since you scoured the registry, it may be possible to restore things this way. Has to be worth trying.

Even less likely is the added RAM. It will completely de-stabilise 98 if you exceed 512 MB.
You haven't have you?

geoff47 13:15 15 Nov 06

I have only installed 256MB making a total of 384MB
so I should be OK ?
I shall now try both suggestions. Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…