Add a PS2 mouse to a laptop via USB-PS2 connector

peterleemaxwell 15:43 28 Mar 05

I have a Sony laptop and wish to add a samsung optical wheelmouse OMS3PB.As this is a ps2 mouse from my desktop pc which i no longer use,I have to use a USB-PS2 connector.I have loaded the latest driver from the samsung website.The software is loaded but the mouse is inoperative.
Although the optical light is on,no movement can be obtained.In device manager the mouse settings are as samsung ps2 but there is an entry within the usb tree for an unknown device.This cannot be changed.Any suggestions to get the mouse working would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Curio 20:24 28 Mar 05

deleting the Drivers in Device Manager, reboot and let Windows recognise the new Hardware

peterleemaxwell 21:21 28 Mar 05

Hi Curio,
Thanks for giving help. I did try what you suggested. On the re-start it finds the new hardware but cannot recognize the new device.
I did think it was just going to be as easy as plugging in the PS2 into the USB adapter and hey presto.I was wrong.

woodchip 21:35 28 Mar 05

Delete the Mouse in Device Manager and restart computer, Windows will load a driver

peterleemaxwell 15:09 29 Mar 05

Thanks woodchip,
Tried what you suggested. Loaded up with it's own drivers as ' Alps pointing device for VAIO '.
Still in the USB part was device unknown.
I'll keep trying various things as I know USB can be a bit funny. Thanks for your input.

woodchip 15:18 29 Mar 05

You should remove all yellow marks and the mouse and restart

peterleemaxwell 16:25 29 Mar 05

Hi Woodchip,
There are no yellow marks in Device Manager.
I've done install/un-install and even let it re-boot and find it's own drivers to yet again re-boot to be in the same position. I'll give up and buy a USB mouse. In the long run, at least it will work. I was only trying to use up an excellent mouse that was PS2 from my desktop PC.
In the bin it goes. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…