add pc to network

checkout 07:06 16 Apr 05

I have two pcs networked together via cable. I would like to add another pc.Can I get a network card with two outlets or do I need some sort of hub?. Would like to keep to cable rather then wireless.

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 16 Apr 05

I think that you need a hub when there are more than two PCs. A quick post in the network forum might confirm for you. click here

mgmcc 11:46 16 Apr 05

Normally, you would need a network hub/switch to add a third PC. However, if you have a PC running Windows XP, it is very simple to install a second network adapter (if you have a free PCI slot) and then "bridge" the two Local Area Connections.

Ivor_Monkey 12:01 16 Apr 05

Forget about hubs. You need a router. This will give you indepedent access to the internet from all machines, is better future proof, and often includes a firewall.

Cables: If you have your 2 pcs connected directly then (I think) it has to be using crossover cable. For a router, you will need straight cable. THe cables will need to be replaced, or there may be some thingy you put on the ends to uncross them -provided the crossed cables were crossed in a standard way(?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…