Add new hard drive to make one volume

Kasio 07:00 18 Nov 05

I have just installed WinXP Home 2002 SP2 onto a 8GB hard disk.

After installing all the programs, i've got 144MB left.

I have got a 40GB hard disk.

Can I add this to my machine and keeping it to make one volume?

thanx in advance

interzone55 08:47 18 Nov 05

The short answer is no.

If you add another hard drive it will become a separate drive letter (usually the one after you CD / DVD drive).

The only way to make a single volume out of two drives is to create a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) array. if you anly have a 8Gb main drive I'm fairly safe in assuming your PC does not have a RAID facility.

Besides, creating a RAID 0 array, making 1 volume out of two drives, would reduce the capacity of your 40gb drive to 8Gb, so it matches the other drive.

You much better just installing the 40gb drive as a slave (make sure you set the master / slave jumper on the back of the drive to Slave) and using it for your data and applications.

You will need to uninstall the applications from the master drive & reinstall them on the slave, as you can't just move programs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 18 Nov 05

144Mb on the windows disk will not be enough for windows file and registry additions when installing new programs to the 40G slavedisk.

Best option is to remove both drives Insert $) as master and 8G as slave install XP on the 40G disk, wipe the 8G disk and use it to save your documents on.

ventanas 16:39 18 Nov 05

It can be done, but is not for the faint-hearted click here.

The advice given by Fruit Bat /\0/\ is much easier to achieve.

ventanas 16:41 18 Nov 05

Should have mentioned, check out Spanned Volumes under Dynamic Discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…