//some 3rd party need geo

Add Hardware Wizard keeps appearing for Printer

bear73 13:41 17 Jul 04

Hi

I have made no changes to my printer but recently when I turn it on I get the Windows Add Hardware Wizard. I have no idea why this is suddenly appearing as my printer works absolutley fine.

Any ideas? I tried inserting the disc that came with the printer but it won't work as I have changed my operating system from ME to XP and so now the cd is usless. Not sure why I need new hardware though as printer works fine with no problems.

Where do I go to check the drivers for the printer - could this be a problem?

Many thanks
bear

Diodorus Siculus 14:21 17 Jul 04

What happens if you let the wizard run through all the way? Sometimes that will work and it will stop bugging you.

hellred 21:09 17 Jul 04

On boot press cancel you will get a message the wizards could not instal this hardware at this time after that go to device manager and delete the unknown device, i bet this is a USB printer and its been unplugged sometime.

For Drivers go to the Manufacturers Website and choose Support and look for the drivers.

Androcles 21:38 17 Jul 04

Try this, unplug the printer,uninstall the printer driver,reinstall the printer driver and don't plug the printer in until asked.Epson printers don't like it unless done this way.

woodchip 22:43 17 Jul 04

If it is USB you have more than likely unplugged and re-plugged back into another USB socket. Just put the printer CD in when it starts and point it to the driver

THE TERMINATOR 02:44 18 Jul 04

I agree with Diodorus Siculus, if you let the wizard run once through(this will do no harm) then it will not run again. But if you cancel it every time it will come back....TT

person mcperson 06:34 18 Jul 04

if you wnat drivers, try driverguide.com click login in the uper left corner-
name- drivers
password- all

bear73 07:46 18 Jul 04

Thanks

The wizard won't tun through because it asked for a manufacturers CD which doesn't work anymore because it isn't compatable with XP or you cna do a browse but that doesn't even show my printer type. My printer isn't a USB printer.

I went to EPSON site yesterday and found a driver for the EPSON Stylus Color 880 and downloaded it but today I still get the wizard. Is it definitley looking for a driver or is it some other kind of hardware for the printer? When I look in device manager there is no section called Printers - should there be? There are no big yellow ? when looking in device manager.

I will try uninstalling but I didn't want to because my printer installation cd doesn't seem to work on XP and it was meant for use with ME and isn't compatable.

Thanks
bear

Zander4 09:40 18 Jul 04

I recently lost my hdd and had to reinstall
from scratch xp pro. Have an additional pci card installed to give LPT2 par port. the HP deskjet 880c is plugged into LPT2. Drivers for the
netmos pci card installed ok using hardware wizard then the printer add wizard failed to find LPT2 manually forced to recognise LPT2 and printer successfully installed and working but on each boot up new hardware wizard comes up for
the HP880c printer. I can cancel or go through the installation sequence until it fails to find the port and gives me the message. "Hardware not installed" Everything works ok when I click to cancel but at the next reboot the wizard will fire up again. I'm still looking for a fix as well. Any suggestion for a solution ?

Thanks Zander4

woodchip 15:23 18 Jul 04

If you can get a Win 2000 driver that should work with XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…