Add CD support to MS-DOS Start up disk.

SheffieldSpy 21:11 31 Aug 03

I need to access my CD-ROM drive from MS-DOS. I have created a MS-DOS startup disk using the WindowsXP format facility. However this doesn't allow me to access my CD drives. Any Suggestions welcome.

holly polly 21:21 31 Aug 03

the easiest way would be to download a boot disk from here ,they nare supppose to have cd support
click here
dont use xp so hope it helps -hol pol...

LAMINA 21:28 31 Aug 03

I think the two files you need are " mscdex.exe "
and " oakcdrom.sys ".. both of which are found on a win98 boot floppy.

SheffieldSpy 21:45 31 Aug 03

Can I get MSCDEX.EXE and OAKCDROM.SYS from a website? I don't have a Win98 boot floppy anymore.

woodchip 21:47 31 Aug 03

Have you got a Autoexec.bat file on the floppy disc. This is what you should do to get CD-ROM to work in DOS. You need the correct drivers from the drive manufacturers site put them on a disc and load them from DOS when you get into windows you should see an extra CD-ROM Drivers folder in Explorer, also have a look at the Autoexec.bat file in Notepad to see if the Drivers are loaded, Windows will have put a REM in front of the Drivers, as they do not need to load in Windows. Right click on the Autoexec.bat and choose send to floppy then open the Autoexec.bat file on the floppy disc in Notepad to edit it and remove the REM and the space before the CD-ROM drivers save the file and exit that now will make your CD-ROM work in DOS, there should still be a Autoexec.bat file in Windows Explorer under C:\

SheffieldSpy 21:48 31 Aug 03

I've found the Win98 bootdisk at Holly Polly's "Click Here" link.

SheffieldSpy 22:05 31 Aug 03

I can only find: DISPLAY.SYS; EGA2.CPI; EGA3.CPI; EGA.CPI; KEYB.COM; KEYBOARD.SYS; KEYBRD2.SYS; KEYBRD3.SYS; KEYBRD4.SYS and MODE.COM files on the disk. This is even when I have "Show all files" selected. I am using Windows XP.

SheffieldSpy 22:07 31 Aug 03

I could in Windows 98 use but in Windows XP it has been modified to make my DOS applications unusable.

woodchip 22:15 31 Aug 03

No idea in XP. If you have not got a Autoexec.bat

SheffieldSpy 22:21 31 Aug 03

I can only find Config.nt and Autoexec.nt on my computer. I am lead to believe that these are sismilar to Config.sys and Autoexec.bat, yet they don't seem able to cope with my DOS programs. For some bizzare reason doesn't browse disks anymore. i.e. C:\, D:\ etc. Yet if I do 'DIR' I get the list of files on my C:\.

woodchip 22:26 31 Aug 03

Follow my advise above but use Autoexec.nt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…