AdAware suddenly became totally ineffective

The Belarussian Mafia 19:37 12 Jun 06

I've used AdAware & Spybot for years to good effect. However about 2 months ago AdAware stopped picking up spyware entirely - the result is now ALWAYS zero! I've reinstalled AdAware - no difference. Spybot still picks up plenty of nasties every time (as does ewido, which I also now use). Finally, I have only been getting the zero results on my laptop.

This one is totally wierding me out - so come on techies - impress me.

GaT7 19:39 12 Jun 06

You may be scanning the wrong drives/folders? G

GaT7 19:40 12 Jun 06

You could also try an uninstall/reinstall. G

bluto1 19:42 12 Jun 06

Crossbow is spot on.

The Belarussian Mafia 19:49 12 Jun 06

Thanks Crossbow7. Checking config now. (Already tried reinstalling.)

The Belarussian Mafia 20:08 12 Jun 06

Only got one partition, so can't be the wrong drive. However, I've spotted an anomily: I clicked the configuration icon, then the 'scanning' options button & noticed that 'Scan within archives' was unticked. As this is ticked on my main PC this could well be the problem - I'll report back in a few minutes after running a scan.

(I must have unticked this option in order to speed up scanning on my laptop, then forgotten about it. It looks like ALL the nasties must hide in archives - truly insidious.)

The Belarussian Mafia 20:51 12 Jun 06

Nothing found!! I'm still hopeful that it's fixed, though - maybe Spybot had cleaned everything recently. Will surf around & run AdAware again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…