Adaware and Spybot

pj123 11:41 07 Jun 04

I run both daily now. Adaware first and delete all objects found. Spybot immediately afterwards and I always get "Congratulations! no immediate threats were found". So, do I really need both?

ted bear 12:02 07 Jun 04

i would use both but perhaps not run them daily - i tend to just run them every few days because like you they tend not to find anything. i suppose it depends on your surfing habits. i sometimes let my son on my computer. i then run spybot/adaware/A²and bazooka one after the other and its surprising how they each seem to pick up different spyware progs. adaware tends to find mainly the data miners and other trackers whereas spybot and A² seem to find the more malicious progs. bazooka is great at finding bits of malicious progs that havent been completly deleted by the others. i also use spywareblaster/norton firewall and nav (overkill or what!)

rawprawn 13:43 07 Jun 04

Like you I run both Spybot & Ad-awre daily, today after seeing another thread I downloaded and ran A squared( I don't know how to type it numerically)It immediately found a Trojan that the others had missed, I'm not sure you can have overkill, just ring the changes.To be on the safe side.

Stuartli 14:56 07 Jun 04

Don't forget SpywareBlaster to keep most of them out of your system from the start - I also concur with running Ad-Aware and S and D in tandem.

You could also go to IE's Tools>Internet Options>Privacy tab and set, from the Advanced button, to Prompt for First Party Cookies and Block Third Party Cookies.

Each time a website attempts to put a cookie on your system you can choose whether to allow it or block it. Blocking it will not normally stop you from accessing the website, but you can also Allow cookies to be downloaded from trusted or known sites.

inneedofhelp 15:02 07 Jun 04

I think that at some date in the future, spybot will actually turn into a worm/virus and we will all be devasted by it. But on a more serious note, has anyone actually de-compiled these programs to make sure they are safe?And yes, i do use them .

spuds 15:56 07 Jun 04

Adaware with SpyBot is a 'keep them both' commodoty. Personally I use Adaware and Spybot with Spyware Blaster. A very solid combination, which as worked superbly well. Seeing a recommended reference today about 'A Squared', I have downloaded this for a trial basis, and it is working with the other three.So far all four seem to be covering far more than my needs.

pj123 17:35 07 Jun 04

I would love to be able to use Spywareblaster but it don't work on my PC (see earlier thread) click here

I am waiting for the next version to be available when I will try again.

rawprawn 17:44 07 Jun 04

I really don't understand why Spywareblaster will not load. surely somebody in this forum should know how to get round the problem. bump

VCR97 20:50 07 Jun 04

Excuse my ignorance but what and where is "A squared", please?

VoG II 20:53 07 Jun 04
  VCR97 20:55 07 Jun 04

VoG. That was quick! Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…