Adaware and Spybot

pj123 12:11 12 May 04

Although I run both the above (almost daily now) and I delete anything they find, I don't know why. What exactly are these files (objects) that are found? Please enlighten me, so that I can explain to my friends the reason for doing this. Thank you.

bertiecharlie 12:34 12 May 04

I think most of what you will find are adware cookies. Delete your cookies before running a scan.

bertiecharlie 12:40 12 May 04

click here for a bit more information.

pj123 13:04 12 May 04

Thanks for the link bertiecharlie. I delete my cookies and temporary internet files regularly. I have to have cookies enabled to access my Internet Banking. I think most of us know that cookies are generally harmless (as the link suggests) so why does Adaware and Spybot both flag them up as threats? Fortunately, I haven't had any of these "diallers" that rack up your phone bill to £000's yet. But I am on Broadband anyway so (I am told) they can't dial out.

Djohn 13:23 12 May 04

When on broadband the diallers can't dial out unless of course you still have a dial-up modem connected to the phone-line as well, then they can and will. j.

bertiecharlie 16:10 12 May 04

It's the big "Privacy" debate. Adaware and the others will highlight those cookies as "problems" because they use personal information without your consent. (I had a further look on Google to see if there were any genuinely harmful cookies - couldn't find anything but at least now I know how to bake a cake).

GaT7 16:46 12 May 04

This is how I keep the pests out (if it's any help to anyone, otherwise ignore my rant):

I don't use Adaware & Spybot (used to in the past), but do use SpywareBlaster which blocks most nasties anyway. Don't visit any 'dodgy' sites. Also, have set IE to prompt whenever a site wants to give me a cookie (prefer the real ones!), which gives me the option in the pop-up dialogue box to permanently allow/block them. Having used Adaware/Spybot before I generally know the undesirable ones. Every once in a while I go over to click here to do an online scan - which sometimes finds scum that other scanners miss. Ever since I've adopted the above (6 months), have not had any adware/spyware/hijacker/dialler related problems.

bertiecharlie 17:02 12 May 04

Better than my contribution. Added your link to Explorer favourites.

pj123 20:36 12 May 04

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked in the first place was because I maintain 9 websites for others using CuteFTP. Whenever I run Adaware or Spybot they both flag up "advert.dll" as a threat. At first I deleted it and then found that CuteFTP wouldn't run without it. I have now learnt to untick advert.dll but why does Adaware and Spybot think this dll is a threat?

VoG II 20:51 12 May 04

advert.dll is bad news IMHO. I wouldn't have it on my systems. click here

hugh-265156 20:56 12 May 04

tried to tell you what it does click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…