AdAware Replacement

morddwyd 08:44 AM 12 Nov 11
Answered

Anyone recommend a good replacement for AdAware? Been using it for some years but it has grown so clunky and intrusive that it needs to go.

Tried Malwarebites but didn't get on with it, but will give it another go if it's really as good as its proponents claim.

rdave13 09:20 AM 12 Nov 11

The free version of Malwarebytes is good and also Superantispyware. Spywareblaster for a blocker. About all you need apart from AV and Firewall.

rdave13 09:27 AM 12 Nov 11

For got to add, if you try Mbam again then refuse the 'professional' trial version on first running.

birdface 09:39 AM 12 Nov 11

rdave13 has mentioned two of the best freebies.

If none of those maybe try Emisoft Anti-Malware or one to have on the side no mater what else you have would be HitmanPro but if you have to remove anything you then only have 30 days left to use it.It will still scan and update but will not remove anything but at least it does warn you if you have any infections and works extremely quick compared to others.

morddwyd 10:47 AM 12 Nov 11

Thanks all. I'll give MWB another go

Menzie 12:12 PM 12 Nov 11

I also like Spybot Search and Destroy although I do notice it slows down my older Athlon 64 3200+ system quite a bit. On my dual core laptop and my other desktop I have no such issues and it does seem to scan quite thoroughly.

I also used a program called Spyware Terminator although I haven't used that in a while since trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

sunnystaines 16:42 PM 12 Nov 11

as rdave13 says.

john bunyan 17:05 PM 12 Nov 11
Answer

I agree with rdave13. I find free Superantispyware a little easier and finds more ad aware tracking cookies than Mbam.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites