Adaware finds Trojans

steve0 12:17 13 Apr 04

Have used Adaware for a long time - always kept up to date, and it has never found anything - other than tracking cookies. That was until yesterday, when it found loads - seemed to have got a trojan - part of it was bridge.dll, running in system32. It got rid of all items, and had to manually stop bridge.dll from loading. So very grateful to the program.

My question is how did I get this in the first place? I have Norton 2003 - which is automatically updated, and Zone Alarm firewall. In fact it was ZoneAlarm that first gave me an indication of trouble - it spotted a program I'd never heard of wanting to act as a server.

In Norton's website they give info on bridge.dll, and it looks like only the latest version of Norton 2004 scans for this - what a rip off.

MichelleC 13:06 13 Apr 04

Some nasties get in tho ports, that's why it's good to have a firewall. But some can even slip past click here

bretsky 13:56 13 Apr 04

Trojans and spyware nearly always associate themselves with IE which your firewall won't stop and norton won't stop them because there are not attachments.

They seem to bury themselves into your browser, I have a couple of them which ad-aware says they are low risk.

Tried to quaranteen them but found my xp sp1 system kept on crashing so much so I have had to reinstate them.

bretsky ;0(

leopard 16:16 13 Apr 04

My avg has found some yesterday and i cant get rid of one called Downloader.Rameh.A I CANT EVEN SEND IT TO A VIRUS VAULT WHAT CAN I DO?

MichelleC 18:17 13 Apr 04

It could be a negative positive result, so it may be no threat. However some can avoid onboard av's so it's best to do a periodic online scan. I also use a Script sentry which warns if registry is being written to.

Roland Butter 18:25 13 Apr 04

I gave spybot a go today and it cleared 2 files and a cookie that Ad-Aware hadn't noticed.
Don't speak to me about Norton. I seem to have no more protection with 2003 firewall AND antivirus than my other machine with AVG and zonealarm - free!
Truth is we are at the mercy of those who may know! or not!!

steve0 19:24 13 Apr 04

Thanks for replies - I think I'll stick to using Opera more - or Avant browser with all the active x and scripts disabled. Will look at Script sentry - thanks MichelleC

Halmer 20:16 13 Apr 04

notifed me that I had the Netski D Worm (or something like that).

I too haven't got a clue how I 'caught' it. AVG dealt with it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017