AdAware and clearing findings

carper 12:47 27 May 04

I have recently installed AdAware and when I have run a check, I find that it shows 24 errors.
I believe that some may be necessary for running certain programmes and dare not cancel them all. Is there any particular ending to the files which show it is used for a programme.
Thanks in advance.

scooby43 12:54 27 May 04

I thought AdAware is for deleting spyware such as minor cookies etc. is it personal edition of adaware

scooby43 12:55 27 May 04

what names does it give for the errors I dont think it will just delete them it keeps them in a temp

temp003 12:57 27 May 04

If you're talking about file extensions, program files usually have .exe or .dll extensions (endings).

If the items which AdAware has detected refer to particular files, make a note of the files, and search on your computer for the location of the files. If the files are contained in a folder for a legitimate program which you use, then you may leave it alone - but that is not always a reliable yardstick.

If you're in doubt, post the suspect items here, and see if someone here can help you decide whether you should get rid of them or not.

Cook2 13:03 27 May 04

On first use of AdAware I too had in excess of 20 errors. I deleted them all and had no problems.

I run it very couple of weeks and if anything is found I get rid of it. No problems.

stlucia 13:06 27 May 04

Me too. It places the suspect files in a vault first, doesn't it? That way you can run your PC for a while to see if there's any problems due to missing files and, if not, then delete the vault containing the files.

hugh-265156 13:20 27 May 04

i have never had a problem removing anything adaware finds

click the name of each object in turn to get more info

most will be cookies no doubt.

as above anything removed is backed up in the quarintine folder and can be replaced in the event of things going wrong.doubt you will have any problems with it though.

delete them all :-)

Fruit Bat 13:32 27 May 04

delete them and forget them not had a problem in last couple of years since using AdAware

carper 13:56 27 May 04

Thanks All

BEVERLEY-256334 14:37 27 May 04

I have ad-aware 6.0 it always brings up a big list and I just get rid of them all without any problems, I recently downloaded 'Spyware blaster 3.1' which prevents these things getting in in the first place, since then ad-aware hasn't found anything. You can download it from this link.

click here

Stuartli 15:14 27 May 04

Ad-aware quarantines items after you have put a check by each one it finds.

You can always restore one or more if necessary but, frankly, if it comes up then get rid.

You can also set IE's Privacy settings (Tools>InternetOptions>Privacy tab) for cookies from the Advanced tab.

Set First Party cookies as Prompt and Third Party Cookies as Block.

Each time you go on a new website you should get a panel up asking if you wish that site to place a cookie on your system.

If you don't wish to, just indicate Block. You will still be able, in most cases, to access the website as normal afterwards.

Fully comprehensive advice on IE security settings from Microsoft at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…