Adaptec wireless router

Sie1 22:03 02 Aug 03

Good evening,

For the last few months I have been using wireless Internet connection sharing to share my dial-up connection between my laptop and desktop, both using XP home. I have had very little problem except for the occasional lost connection.

I will be getting cable broadband in the next couple of weeks and have brought an Adaptec wireless broadband router in readiness (11mbs).

The laptop runs an Actiontec card bus wireless adapter (11mbs) and an Actiontec USB wireless network adapter is used on the desktop machine.

I decided to set up my new network in readiness for my new connection. After a little messing around, I've got everything to recognize everything else but when I attempt to access the other computer, either way, of attempt to share file, the connection is so slow that the program crashes, especially explorer. This happens on either machine. The connection shows 11 mbs but the transfer is painfully slow. I have my firewalls configured correctly. The settings on the router are left as standard. I have used the windows network configuration wizard to make the connections on each machine.

Next step is to add more coal.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Regards, Sie.

Sie1 22:14 02 Aug 03

P.S. WEP encryption is disabled at present - its already too slow :(

Sie1 23:14 02 Aug 03

Sie1 14:39 03 Aug 03

Does anyone know of a good website that deals with wireless networking problems ?

SEASHANTY 16:54 03 Aug 03

If its NTL cable you could peruse robin walkers site at <click here>
For cable broadband I guess you will need a cable/dsl router. Dunno if the Adaptec is one of these. I did not realize that Adaptec made cable BB routers.

Sie1 22:50 04 Aug 03

Sussed it after hours of messing. First I had a problem with USB wireless adaptor. removed and replaced with Cat5 Ethernet cable.

Problem finally traced to either a local wireless station that wasn't transmitting a SSID or local microwave interference. Whilst trying to work the problem, I reassigned the default channel to one approx. half way through the choices and instantly cured the problem. Increase in data throughput was phenomenal.

Now using the router gives a much faster data transfer speed compared with a peer to peer connection. As it should be.

I was having my doubts about the effectiveness of the Adaptec wireless router but now its working I reckon its a bargain at around £50 inclusive of VAT from Dabs. With a bit of lateral thinking, well recommended (Perhaps not for total novices though).

Sie1 18:30 22 Aug 03

Broadband now installed and router up and running, sharing cable connection between workstation & laptop, both running XP home.

Also able to share files between machine and stream audio & compressed video.

Very, very cool.

The best £50 I've spent in a long time.
Highly recommended.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…