ad-hoc wireless networking

stevedunham 11:57 24 Nov 05

Help1
I'm new to wireless networking and I want to set up an ad-hoc network between two Xp (sp2) desktops with no internet connection.
I've installed a 802.11g wireless card (Edimax from Dabs) in each machine, loaded drivers but i can't get them to recognise each other only a neighbours network. can any one direct me to an idiots guide please.

mgmcc 14:18 24 Nov 05

If there is no internet connection involved (which has implications for IP addressing), you will need to allocate an IP address to each wireless network adapter.

Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection, select Properties, then highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

Click "Use the following IP address" and enter:

IP address - 10.0.0.1

Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 10.0.0.1

In the second PC, use the IP address 10.0.0.2 but use the SAME Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway 10.0.0.1

Set the adapters to work in "Ad Hoc" mode (although it may be called "Peer-to-Peer") and give them both the same SSID (network name).

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers by entering their IP addresses in it "trusted" area.

woodchip 14:27 24 Nov 05

You are better choosing other than ad-hoc, it's not secure

mgmcc 14:37 24 Nov 05

<<< You are better choosing other than ad-hoc, it's not secure >>>

What's the alternative in the absence of a Wireless Access Point to create an "Infrastructure" network?

woodchip 18:02 24 Nov 05

Infrastructure is the one to use, you do not need to Network to use it. As that is what I use

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 24 Nov 05

Idiots guide click here

stevedunham 19:32 24 Nov 05

Can mgmcc and woodchip explain what infrastructure is? thats a new one on me

woodchip 19:42 24 Nov 05
  woodchip 19:49 24 Nov 05

Also see click here
Easier to understand

mgmcc 19:51 24 Nov 05

There are essentially two types of Wireless Network:

1) "Ad Hoc" (sometimes called "Peer-toPeer") in which a WiFi adapter is installed in each computer and they communicate directly with one another.

2) "Infrastructure" (sometimes called "Access Point") in which the WiFi adapters don't communicate directly with one another. All communication between wireless enabled computers is via a "Wireless Access Point".

A "Wireless Access Point" is a device that provides a point of access for Wireless Adapters to connect to a "wired" network. All Wireless routers contain a Wireless Access Point.

The type of Wireless Network you set up is dependent on the equipment you have. You cannot, as has been implied, optionally decide that you are going to connect two WiFi adapters directly in "Infrastructure" instead of "Ad Hoc" mode, it won't work - you MUST have a Wireless Access Point to create an "Infrastructure" network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…